Somaliland Employer of Record & Payroll
Africa Deployments Somaliland offers our clients Employer of Record solutions in Somaliland covering all of the regions within. We offer full time employment or fixed terms contracts based on your requirements in Somaliland for local & expatriate hires. ADS will apply for the work permits through the local company and issue local work contracts to your employees. We will also advise our client’s on best Human Resource (HR) practices when setting up the employee’s locally in Somaliland.
ADS will take care of the local tax & PAYE remittances to the Revenue Services on a monthly basis ensuring that they are fully compliant with the law. We will also ensure that their salaries are paid on time monthly by the 25th of each month and issue them with their pay slips.
In addition to our services we can offer the employee in Somaliland, Medical, Disability, Life and Workmen’s Compensation Insurances.
ADS offers the following services:
- Africa Employer of Record
- Africa Remote Teams
- Africa Payroll Solutions
- Africa Treasury Management
- Africa Support Services (vehicle hire, accommodation, office rentals, etc…)
Somaliland, officially the Republic of Somaliland, is an autonomous region in the Horn of Africa.
Somaliland has been a distinct region from Somalia since the late 1800s and is located on the southern coast of the Gulf of Aden – bordered by Djibouti to the northwest, Ethiopia to the south and west, and Somalia to the east.
Somaliland has 850 kms of coastline with abundant pristine beaches, beautiful coral reefs, unique archaeological sites, rare birds and mammals, impressive mountain ranges, and a year-round sunny, warm climate.
Home to ±18 million people overall, Somaliland is a strict Muslim territory.
The capital and largest city is Hargeisa where ±1.2 million people reside. Home to rock art from the Neolithic period, the city is also a commercial hub for precious stone-cutting, construction, retail and trading. Livestock is an important mainstay in Somaliland’s economy.
Somaliland cuisine is largely influenced by Indian and Arabic customs and staples include flatbread, rice, meat and bananas. Seafood is eaten mostly in the coastal regions.
What is the main language spoken in Somaliland:
In Somaliland, there are 3 official languages being Somali, Arabic, and English.
Most people in Somaliland speak at least two of the territory’s three official languages.
What type of employment contracts can you offer in Somaliland:
- Fixed Term
- Indefinite term
- Be in writing
- Be in the official local language and the local currency
- Include salary/compensation, benefits and termination requirements
- Have specific working terms and conditions
- Can be eligible for organizational perks and/or other benefits
- Tend to be more focused [as only one employer] and familiar with the specific business – due to e.g. ongoing company training etc.
- Probationary period is up to 4 months [maximum] – generally in Somaliland the probationary contract is authorized for 2 months, with an additional extension of 2 months possible, at the employer’s discretion.
- During the probationary period either party may terminate the contract without notice and without reason.
WHAT INCOME IS TAXABLE IN Somaliland:
Employees do not pay tax on the first 5,000,000 SL shs of annual income. Any income above that amount is taxed monthly at a rate of 6% on the excess above the threshold.
What income is exempt from taxes in Somaliland:
The first 5,000,000 SL shs of annual taxable employment income (or 416,667 SL shs of monthly income) is exempt from taxes in Somaliland. This tax-free allowance applies to all employees.
Any taxable income from employment exceeding the annual threshold of 5,000,000 SL shs would be subject to the 6% tax rate on the amount above the threshold. But income below that level is exempt.
Standard working hours: Overtime to be paid in Somaliland?
- The standard work week in many countries is 40-48 hours. Working beyond this is considered overtime.
- Overtime pay is often 1.5x the regular hourly wage for hours worked over the standard threshold.
- Sometimes overtime pay rates increase to 2x the regular wage after a certain number of hours.
- Overtime pay may apply only after exceeding a daily or weekly threshold, not just for extra hours in a day.
Mandatory contributions in Somaliland?
|Contribution Type||Contribution Rate|
|Contribution Type||Contribution Rate|
Public health insurance
Public health insurance
What is the Maternity and Paternity policy within Somaliland:
- 4 months maternity leave allowance
- Breastfeeding breaks during working hours for breastfeeding parents
- There are no formal regulations on paternity leave in place
What type of leave is allowed in Somaliland:
- Sick leave cannot be more than six months every three years
- Certified health certificate to be provided
- 30 days paid leave per year [± 2.5 days paid leave per month]
- 2-7 days of family responsibility leave
Do I need to pay a mandatory bonus annually OR is it discretionary in Somaliland:
There is no statutory requirement to pay a 13th or 14th month salary / bonus in Somaliland.
What Gratuity / Severance payments do you need to provide for Somaliland:
Before employing your employees in Somaliland, it is always advisable to understand your risk from an employment perspective. Unfortunately, nothing is guaranteed and in the event that you need to terminate for a valid reason, we always suggest that you know what you are in for in the unlikely event you need to terminate.
Below are the types are terminations in Somaliland:
- Calculated based on length of service and employment type
- Can be 6 weeks [standard]
- Prior written notice required
Severance [economic reasons]:
- The employee is entitled to no additional payment, such as severance pay, when the contract ends for any reason.
CAN YOU GIVE FRINGE BENEFITS IN Somaliland?
No, we don’t have any Fringe Benefits in Somaliland.
Mandatory Probation period of Somaliland:
Standard probationary hiring practices in Somaliland seem to follow a 3-6 month initial evaluation period prior to permanent employment. But specific terms would be according to company policy.
What are the Corporate and VAT / Sales tax rates in Somaliland:
Corporate Tax Rates: 10% [in general]
VAT / Sales Tax Rates: 5% [on most goods and services]
Public Holidays in Somaliland:
- January 1 - New Year's Day
- February 18 - Isra and Mi'raj
- May 1 - Labour Day
- May 18 - Sovereignty Day
- May 19 - Sovereignty Day
- April 21 - Eid al-Fitr
- April 22 - Eid al-Fitr
- June 26 - Independence Day
- June 29 - Eid al-Adha
- June 30 - Eid al-Adha
- July 19 - Hijri New Year's Day
- September 27 - Prophet Muhammad's Birthday
What Industries we support in Somaliland:
- Non-Governmental Organization’s (NGO) / Non- profit
- Engineering & Construction
- Government / Development Agencies
- Oil & Gas
- FMCG & Manufacturing
- Private Equality, Finance, Insurance & Banking
The information provided above is for an “informative decision” and may change at any given time without prior notice. We always suggest speaking to one of our Sales Consultants before engaging in any country.